Cross-impact balance analysis (CIB) introduced by Weimer-Jehle in 2006 has become an established approach in socio-environmental scenario building in the fields of climate change, energy transition, water management and many others. With today at least 300 applications by 80 organizations, this semi-quantitative form of systems analysis (conceptual modeling) can be considered state of the art in qualitative yet systematic scenario construction. CIB plays an increasing role in socio-environmental modelling: it is used to assure internal consistency of qualitative scenarios and to build and select sets of context scenarios for environmental (numerical) modeling. At the same time, new applications (e.g. for policy design, for the integration of knowledge and across scales) and new methodological developments (e.g. for data collection, data analysis and scenario presentation) are being developed. Therefore, we would like to invite the growing CIB research community, experienced users but also newcomers, to discuss state of the art applications as well as future research avenues.
At the moment, we strive for a format in presence.
- Case studies using CIB for scenario exercises with a focus on less classical functions as e.g. decision support, visioning
- Case studies using CIB for policy analysis and design or for integration, e.g. across scales
- Case studies advancing the analytical possibilities of CIB as e.g. to represent dynamics
- Case studies using innovative methodological designs of CIB processes (e.g. participatory modeling, combinations with GIS or Delphi approaches etc.)
- Other innovative applications and developments
We particularly welcome:
- Overview presentations reflecting strengths and limits of CIB as well as open questions
- Methodological presentation comparing different CIB methodologies and designs or comparing CIB with other approaches
The interactive session will be the starting point for developing an edited volume on the frontiers of CIB research jointly with the participants. A follow up workshop/discussion session will also be organized at iEMSs2022.